Plenty of Valuables, But Where Are Their Values?

In “The Age of Innocence”, Edith Wharton clearly develops and displays the effects that differences between classes have on individuals in society as well as society as a whole. This topic of society and class has become an increasing interest of mine as the book progresses. Wharton introduces this topic from the very beginning of the book with Newland Archer at the opera. Wharton writes, “Few things seemed to Newland Archer more awful than an offense against “Taste”, that far-off divinity of whom “Form” was the mere visible representative and vicegerent” (Wharton 14), exemplifying the skewed values of the upper class. Currently I see this gap between high society and lower class as my topic of interest as I predict this concept will become increasingly important as I get further into the book.

I feel that Wharton does a very good job of explaining the backstory and tying together loose details of characters and relationships. The relationships between characters plays a huge role in the development of the story as well as the conflicts faced throughout, and so far Wharton exquisitely details and elaborates on these relationships so that the reader can properly understand and grasp the story. Though there are many different characters with different social statuses and connections introduced, Wharton clearly distinguishes between characters and defines their relationships and statuses for the reader to clearly differentiate and follow along.Image result for high society new york

3 thoughts on “Plenty of Valuables, But Where Are Their Values?”

1. I agree with your prediction about why Wharton does make such a distinction between the upper and lower classes. I feel as though Newland Archer is a representation of the issues of the upper class because he bocones more aware of the cookie cutter like similarities of those around him. I find it very interesting that the author does make such clear distinctions between all of the characters yet manages to show that they are all playing a part that they think society expects while Ellen is the odd one out.

2. I just commented on another student’s blog who is reading this as well!! You’ll want to check out “Sophia’s Spot” blog. It will be fun to see what you each think of the book when you are done.

What I find fascinating about this book is Wharton’s ability to make the reader sympathize with the characters despite their state of wealth and power. How does the author invoke this in the reader and why?

3. Macy I love your insight on this book! As you know I’m also reading “The Age of Innocence” and I completely agree with everything you said. There is such a stark contrast between the classes, especially by the way the upper class holds themselves at such a high standard compared to others. It is very apparent with their reaction to Ellen Olenska because she is an outcast to their top notch society. These relationships portray such great characterization as well. I completely agree with you, in which Wharton uses fantastic description to set up her characters and their relationships. Something I’ve found interesting is the symbolism of the characters and how they each have a deeper representation. Great insights you have so glad we can share ideas about the book!